Sunday, May 23, 2010

Artist Statement: Part II

I began taking photographs to fulfill an academic requirement. Traditional photo was offered as an elective, and although I was interested in photography as a medium, it was not a subject I intended to pursue. I felt confident in my judgment that photography was an appropriate, often fun, diversion that might offer the admission officer reading my college application a reason to choose me from the sea of eminently qualified candidates. Unexpectedly, however, I realized that I loved photography. As a course, I was exposed to Gregory Crewdson, Annie Leibovitz, Richard Avedon, Collier Schorr, Stephen Shore, Jock Sturges, Edward Weston, Walker Evans and other photographers whose work has influenced my own. Most definitively, perhaps, I found that despite my anxiety when a photoshoot went awry, as they frequently have, a successful result vastly overcame any difficulties I might have encountered.


I am currently a junior at the Doane Stuart School. I live, as I have all my life, in upstate New York. I hope you enjoy my photography, and I would love to hear any feedback!

No comments:

Post a Comment