Sunday, February 7, 2010

Photobook Images















Here are the twelve images that I will use for my photobook. In these photos, I wanted to capture the experience of going to the movies. My motives for choosing this 'moment' were twofold; the first is that I really like everything about the movies: choosing which to see, walking under the lit sign, looking at the posters, getting popcorn and candy, and I thought that I could effectively photograph each of these moments to create a narrative that the viewer would understand, and relate to. This is the second reason that I decided to shoot this idea; it seemed like a universal experience, particularly one with iconic imagery that I could represent in my narrative. I think that this was one of the flaws of my first idea. I initially planned to recreate a specific moment from a few years ago, something that I've experienced only once. I wasn't satisfied with the photographs that I took for a few reasons, but perhaps mostly because I felt that the viewer would not identify with the moment easily. They seemed too disjointed too capture a single experience that the viewer could follow.


For my final images, Ms. MacWright suggested that I use black and white, rather than color, to lend a cinematic feel to the photos. I like the result of this editing. The black and white, coupled with the occasionally dramatic lighting, and 'noise' reminds me of old-fashioned film.



No comments:

Post a Comment