Saturday, November 21, 2009

Painting With Light!





I chose these examples because I thought that they show a variety of light painting techniques while maintaining the same model and photographer. Also, it's Picasso, painting with light, which is pretty cool. In the first photograph, I think that the exposure probably was not as long as some of the others because the image was made with a comparatively well-lit background. However, it also allowed the subject enough time to create a pretty involved drawing. In all of the images, it looks like he uses a small flashlight as a light source for the light painting. In this, I think that both the model and the light painting are the subjects. For me, this dual subject is interesting because the photograph captures not only the drawn figure, as a painting would, but also its creator; it reminds me of a portrait of Picasso. The second image, I believe, was made with a longer exposure than the first; this is because the model is captured three times, as his position changes, an effect that we did not see before. Also, although there is a second light source again, the background is less strongly lit than in the first photograph. Similarly, I think that both the model, (and his multiples,) as well as the light are the subject. In this, I think that with a weaker background light the light painting draws the viewer's attention more quickly than in the first. The final image was probably created with the longest exposure because there is no ambient light in the background. In this, the subject is exclusively the light; we cannot even see who is creating the painting, the room is so dark.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice! Like you, I enjoy seeing both the image-maker and his image in these photographs. Do you know if Picasso took these photographs himself (with a timer / remote / cable release?) Or was a second artist (a photographer) involved?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that a photographer, Gjon Mili, took these. I read that he was assigned to photograph Picasso for Life magazine, and Mili was showing Picasso light paintings where he'd fixed tiny lights to an ice skater's skates, and then photographed her as she jumped, which was where the idea came from. I'm not entirely sure how accurate that story is though.

    ReplyDelete