Sunday, November 22, 2009

Chris Jordan, Part II

For me, the viewing experience was a little uncomfortable. I did not feel this way because of the artist; I think that he is careful not to lampoon "the American Consumer." Rather, he asks us to examine our culture as it is today, as we see it in his photographic representations, and if we dislike this reflection, to change it. "I am not pointing the finger at America in a blaming way. If there's things we see that we don't like about our culture, then we have a choice." He asks us only to take responsibility for the one piece of the solution that we are in charge of: our own behavior. Thus, although he makes us aware of the devastating results of many of our most unconscious, or thoughtless patterns of consumption, he does not "chide" us necessarily. However, it is disconcerting to see the gargantuan effects of everyday actions. For example, the image of the plastic cups used on airlines was especially startling because it was something that I had never considered before, and it forced me to think about the repercussions of so many of my behaviors. For me, his images success lies in depicting not only the enormous scale of consumerism, but also my own participation in behaviors and patterns that I did not think I condoned.











































No comments:

Post a Comment