Sunday, March 7, 2010

Photomontage Proposal

For my photomontage, I would like to photograph a sign, or perhaps a poster, that features writing. Ultimately, when the image is reconstructed, the words and letters will still be clear; however, the viewer might give the message more time and attention than they otherwise would. In other words, this struggle to tease meaning from the symbols might engage the reader. (This might be dangerous to try with a traffic sign though.) I think that David Hockney's photomontage of a green chair shares a similar quality. What might make an uninteresting subject for a photograph gains complexity here:


I chose to include this second photomontage, also by David Hockney, because I think that it too presents what seems like a familiar object in an unusual way, particularly in its distorted perspective. Moreover, the text in this image is legible, despite the surrounding chaos. As in these two images, I would like the edges of my montage to be similarly irregular. Additionally, I plan to shoot with daylight and to leave my final image in color.




No comments:

Post a Comment